Scott-Wilson Memorial Sculpture

Name:
Scott-Wilson Memorial Sculpture
Region:
Angus
Nominated by:
Kirriemuir Landward East Community Council
Year:
2013
Award category:
General
Project status:
Entrant
Architect/Lead designer:
Bruce Walker

Summary Description

2012 marked the centenary of the Terra Nova Expedition to Antarctica and the South Pole. Edward Wilson was chief scientist, surgeon and artist on the expedition and died with Captain Robert Falcon Scott (Scott of the Antarctic) and his colleagues on the return from the Pole in late March 1912. Prior to the expedition, Wilson was employed by the government to conduct a study into grouse; and in order to help him his publisher, Reginald Smith, offered the use of Burnside Lodge in Glen Prosen, Angus. Wilson spent many months, if not years, based in the Lodge conducting his studies and was joined on an unconfirmed number of occasions by Captain Scott. Part of Scott and Wilson’s time at the Lodge was spent going over the finer details of the expedition and also in testing some of the equipment for the expedition itself.

After the deaths of the Polar party and the later death of Reginald Smith, his widow funded the erection of a Memorial Fountain in 1919, in Glen Prosen at a point known locally as “Scott’s View,” due to Captain Scott’s admiration of the scenery at that place. Sadly the Fountain was destroyed in a car accident in 1979, although it was replaced by a Memorial Cairn, erected in 1981. The Cairn is now very weathered and unfortunately, the inscriptions are difficult to read.

In order to commemorate the centenary, Kirriemuir Landward East Community Council led a project, involving interested local people, schools and experts from Dundee Heritage Trust to undertake a number of commemorative events. However, the main aim of the group was always to improve the commemoration of Scott and Wilson in the Glen itself. Happily, through extensive fund raising, the group were able to engage local sculptor Bruce Walker to take on the design and development of a new sculpture, to act as a long term memorial to these two remarkable individuals and as an added attraction in Glen Prosen. This monumental sculpture was unveiled, by Scott and Wilsons decendents, to wide acclaim in December 2012, attracting hundreds of visitors to a remote part of Angus.

Gallery of images (Opens in a modal window)

Supporting Statement

The Community Council feels that this project is worthy of recognition on...

The Community Council feels that this project is worthy of recognition on a number of grounds. Firstly, it is a high quality monument, sculpted locally in Kirriemuir and is entirely appropriate for the men that it commemorates and its location – the monument is sited at a point known locally as “Scott’s View” due to Capt Scott’s admiration of the scenery from that spot. This is a highly innovative sculpture, being the only one in the world that commemorates both men and is one of the largest granite memorials in the UK. This project was led entirely by the community, with support from Angus Council and brought in ideas, expertise and support from across the local area and further afield. The design of the monument is unique as it incorporates life size carvings of both Scott and Wilson, as well as carvings of Siberian ponies, huskies, penguins; and a globe depicting the route of the expedition from New Zealand to the Pole. The monument is a very creative piece of work, reflecting all of the aspects listed here and relating it to the local setting through simple interpretative plaques located in the dyke behind the monument itself.